Saturday, April 10, 2010

Delicious Fruit Tart

I was looking through the Food Network to find what would be the third experimental desert of my baking craze. I finally stumbled over the fruit tart recipe and decided to go with it. Plus, the recipe only calls for 14 minutes of cook time. How can anything beat that?!?!?

The recipe was not hard to follow but I have to confess that I messed up. Instead of softening the butter stick to make the crust batter, I literally melted it in the microwave. This made the batter soggy instead of crumb-like. This also made it a harder to even out the batter in the pan simply because the batter kept sticking to my fingers. Grrrr. Also the crust came out a little tarred because I left it in the oven longer than the recipe instructed. Everything else went smoothly. Anyway, I was very surprise how good the food tart was in spite of my mistakes. Wait, the word "good" is not the right word choice in this situation. The better word choice is "super duper yummy". I had to fight to get the last slice on the plate. I would definitely make another one in the near future.

It took me about 45 minutes to make the fruit tart including the prep time. Not bad at all. One extra step I took was putting cooking spray on the pan to make sure I can get the crust out intact. I deviated from the recipe with the fruit choice as well. Instead of using blueberries and raspberries, I used mango instead. I highly recommend this recipe from foodnetwork.com. Below is my own version of the recipe from the food network.

Delicious Fruit Tart Recipe
  • Crust
  • 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened and sliced
  • Filling:
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Topping:
  • Fresh strawberries, kiwi and mango slices (or just about any fruits you like)
  • Glaze:
  • 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust: In a food processor, combine the confectioners' sugar, flour, and butter and process until the mixture forms a ball. Put cooking spray around a 12-inch tart pan and press the mixture into the pan with your fingers. Pat until crust is even. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (or a little longer depending how wet the mixture is), until very lightly browned. Set aside to cool.

For the filling: Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Spread over the cooled crust.

For the topping: Be creative...=)

For the glaze: Combine the limeade, cornstarch, lime juice and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until clear and thick, about 2 minutes. Let cool. Put glaze over the entire tart. You will not use all the glaze.

Keep the tart in the refrigerator. Remove 15 minutes before serving.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment